Take quick screenshots using the ScreenCapture workflow

Yes, binding it to a hotkey should be possible as follows.

You need to edit the workflow to add a hotkey. Select the workflow from Alfred Preferences, and click on the + button at the top right. In the drop down menu, select Triggers > Hotkey

A small window will appear, where you need to set it up as follows:

hotkey.png

(You can set the hotkey to anything of course)

Once the hotkey has been added to the workflow, you need to manually drag and create a link from the hotkey box to the Run Script box towards the right of the screen. Once all done, your workflow should look something like below:

final.png

NOTE: The text that you enter in the hotkey settings window controls what option you want, and you can set up multiple hotkey for all the actions mentioned below:

• Enter ic is for interactive to clipboard
  • Enter c is for whole screen to clipboard
  • Enter i is for interactive
  • Leave blank to save the whole screen 

Hope this helps!  :)

Very cool, Thanks!

I've noticed that Alfred has difficulties to remember the most used item. I believe (but not sure) that it is because your uid are too short (i, c, ic,etc..)

I replaced them with "screencapture1, screencapture2, etc.." and now Alfred can remember the most used items correctly.

Cheers

Oh... Thanks for that. I have updated the workflow at the original download link to include more specific UIDs for all items. Hopefully it should resolve the problem you mentioned for everyone.

Cheers

Heads up, in interactive to screenshot, you missed the N off the word screen...

... and you just made my day with this. I was missing screen capture to clipboard in a big way. Seriously, thank you for sharing.

If you plan to add to it, I would suggest open a new email message on top of copy to clipboard. I don't know about anyone else, but I would use the heck out of that.

Edited by noise

AWESOME thats what i really searching since a couple of month without any apps (except alfred ;-)) and customizations. THANKS 

Also special thanks: Now i know how to set Hotkeys on every workflow :D

Yes, binding it to a hotkey should be possible as follows.

You need to edit the workflow to add a hotkey. Select the workflow from Alfred Preferences, and click on the + button at the top right. In the drop down menu, select Triggers > Hotkey

Edited by Trauni

Heads up, in interactive to screenshot, you missed the N off the word screen...

My bad! :) fixed it now. I'll see about your suggestion - don't know quite how to achieve it, but if I can, will update the workflow...

AWESOME thats what i really searching since a couple of month without any apps (except alfred ;-)) and customizations. THANKS 

Also special thanks: Now i know how to set Hotkeys on every workflow :D

Your welcome! Glad to be of help...

If you plan to add to it, I would suggest open a new email message on top of copy to clipboard. I don't know about anyone else, but I would use the heck out of that.

Try the latest version at the original download link. If you select any of the two options (Interactive / Save entire screen) while pressing the "Alt" key, you get the choice to open the taken picture in a new Mail message. This does not work for the copy to clipboard modes though.

ScreenCaptureMail.png

Edited by Benzi

Hi, reduced the complexity of Benzi's workflow. All my workflow does, is take an interactive screenshot and place it directly into the clipboard when you press command+option+shift+4 ---- it is all I ever need when taking screenshots and it is faster than going through the alfred menus --- just in case anyone is interested. ---- Benzi's piece is of course way cooler....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c903cayeunyjyoo/Screen%20Capture.alfredworkflow

Try the latest version at the original download link. If you select any of the two options (Interactive / Save entire screen) while pressing the "Alt" key, you get the choice to open the taken picture in a new Mail message. This does not work for the copy to clipboard modes though.

You are my new hero. Thank you kindly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for this great workflow! I really appreciate your work.

However, I was looking for a solution that does these things:

• Capture screenshot
  • Copy to Dropbox
  • Copy public link from Dropbox
  • Shorten this link with bit.ly

I ended up adding this functionality myself. This workflow will either upload it to Dropbox, or copy it to the clipboard. To save it to the desktop, the regular Mac OS shortcuts could be used, or perhaps the basic version of this workflow with a different keyword.

I coded this with optional bit.ly support. However, you do need to edit the DROPBOXID to your personal user id in the bash Run Script.

I also slightly changed how the filename was generated, with a more structured timestamp.

You can download my version here, I hope it is useful:

https://mega.co.nz/#!foonRCBY!JzpxdzyaQwCFW-mPqKc9YksvJBxITlaOhSAZU-jz8wQ

Again, credits to Benzi, I just built on top of his workflow.

• 1 month later...

Hi, reduced the complexity of Benzi's workflow. All my workflow does, is take an interactive screenshot and place it directly into the clipboard when you press command+option+shift+4 ---- it is all I ever need when taking screenshots and it is faster than going through the alfred menus --- just in case anyone is interested. ---- Benzi's piece is of course way cooler....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c903cayeunyjyoo/Screen%20Capture.alfredworkflow

You can accomplish this by just pressing ^⇧⌘4 (the standard one plus ctrl-key). You can even use ⇧⌘4 and draw the rectangle using the Ctrl-key to copy the result to clipboard. Just saying.

This workflow is awesome btw. I was about to create something similar, but a short Google search proved other people already have been that smart ;)

You can accomplish this by just pressing ^⇧⌘4 (the standard one plus ctrl-key). You can even use ⇧⌘4 and draw the rectangle using the Ctrl-key to copy the result to clipboard. Just saying.

This workflow is awesome btw. I was about to create something similar, but a short Google search proved other people already have been that smart ;)

Ha! Thanks! Didn't know! 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this nice workflow, it saves me time! I had one issue: on my iMac I have my home directory on a separate hard drive. This means my desktop is not at /Users/$USER/Desktop. If you change both occurrences of /Users/$USER with ~ this is fixed and it will work no matter where your home directory is located.

Nice job doing this with Alfred.  Just an FYI that this is also built–in to OS X:

# take screenshots on the mac

- Command-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it as a file on the desktop
- Command-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it as a file on the desktop
- Command-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it as a file on the desktop
- Command-Control-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it to theclipboard
- Command-Control-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it to the clipboard
- Command-Control-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it to the clipboard.
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi

Thanks for this great workflow! I really appreciate your work.

However, I was looking for a solution that does these things:

• Capture screenshot
  • Copy to Dropbox
  • Copy public link from Dropbox
  • Shorten this link with bit.ly

I ended up adding this functionality myself. This workflow will either upload it to Dropbox, or copy it to the clipboard. To save it to the desktop, the regular Mac OS shortcuts could be used, or perhaps the basic version of this workflow with a different keyword.

I coded this with optional bit.ly support. However, you do need to edit the DROPBOXID to your personal user id in the bash Run Script.

I also slightly changed how the filename was generated, with a more structured timestamp.

You can download my version here, I hope it is useful:

https://mega.co.nz/#!foonRCBY!JzpxdzyaQwCFW-mPqKc9YksvJBxITlaOhSAZU-jz8wQ

Again, credits to Benzi, I just built on top of his workflow.

Please can you add 1 more step?  

After capturing the screenshot provide a way to rename it as an option (that way when going back to screenshots in the future they can be found or sorted more easily).  

• 7 years later...