Evernote Workflow 9 beta 4 (Alfred 4)

Great!

I now have to evernote workflows and don't really know what the difference is. One by Florian Pellet and one by Carlos Alberto Sztoltz. Can someone comment on the difference?

There is a different approach for a note search (my workflow uses Evernote commands vs. spotlight) and how to add a new note may be different too (e.g. if you make a note or text selection while your Browser is the top most app the note will also include the URL).

Anyway, maybe you should try both and see what fits better in you way of take notes.

Great update!! Thanks a lot.

Are the search results in a specific order or can I change this that the latest note is on top?

i.e. I search for "en *invoice*" and the latest notes come first?

Was looking for a way to integrate Evernote and Alfred and this does this trick wonderfully.

Would be interested to hear the reply to DJays question.

Thank you for sharing.

Thank you!

I made some tests and it seems Evernote does not deliver the results in a specific order or, at least, I couldn’t see it.

If I find something else I’ll let you know.

Hi Carlos,

Is there a way to search for the notebook name or the tag name?

Many thanks for this great workflow.

You can basically search like if you were using Evernote. For example:

• use asterisk as wildcards e.g. xm*
  • search in a notebook e.g. notebook:internet
  • search only in title e.g. intitle:something
  • search tag e.g. tag:mytag
  • search tag with wildcard e.g. tag:myt*

:)

This is very well done, but it's unusably slow for me.  That may be because I have a large number of notes - over 4,000 at last count.  This is because I imported my OneNote notes, and I think that I started using that in 2006.

In any case, I've been using this search workflow, which isn't as full-featured: http://www.thoughtasylum.com/blog/2013/1/15/evernote-search-an-alfred-20-workflow-for-searching-evernote.html

Any thoughts on the slowness or how I could help nail it down?  I'm a Java / Javascript developer, but I'm brand-new to Applescript & Alfred (and I've never worked with the Evernote API before).

Almost forgot to quantify this: if I type "en innovation", for instance, I'll get 143 notes back, but it takes 17 seconds.

Edited by erikprzekop

This is very well done, but it's unusably slow for me.  That may be because I have a large number of notes - over 4,000 at last count.  This is because I imported my OneNote notes, and I think that I started using that in 2006.

In any case, I've been using this search workflow, which isn't as full-featured: http://www.thoughtasylum.com/blog/2013/1/15/evernote-search-an-alfred-20-workflow-for-searching-evernote.html

Any thoughts on the slowness or how I could help nail it down?  I'm a Java / Javascript developer, but I'm brand-new to Applescript & Alfred (and I've never worked with the Evernote API before).

Almost forgot to quantify this: if I type "en innovation", for instance, I'll get 143 notes back, but it takes 17 seconds.

One possible way is to search only titles (as it is the workflow will also search content): intitle:something

I have about 100 notes so it is not the best scenario to test speed. Anyway, I’ll see what can be done.

When I open an individual note, the timestamp of the note gets updated.

Any clues on how to avoid this?

I’m not sure. The workflow uses Evernote API to open a note so it is basically Evernote opening it. Does it happen when you open a note inside Evernote?

I made some tests.

When the workflow gets the search result from Evernote (fairly fast) two procedures slows down the process:

1. the workflow has to ask Evernote for name and url of each note

2. then the workflow, before sending the results to Alfred, has to parse XML

However, get 147 results listed in Alfred window does not sound productive. So the workflow will display 20 notes as the result and it will point how many notes were found in fact:

en_new%20search.png

From the result above you can, of course, refine the search to get what you want from Alfred or select the “Show in Evernote” to continue the search from there.

In addition, I’ll add a new keyword ent to search directly only in titles.

I hope it makes sense for those with huge collection of notes. Let me know. :)

Edited by Carlos-Sz

I made some tests.

When the workflow gets the search result from Evernote (fairly fast) two procedures slows down the process:

1. the workflow has to ask Evernote for name and url of each note

2. then the workflow, before sending the results to Alfred, has to parse XML

However, get 147 results listed in Alfred window does not sound productive. So the workflow will display 20 notes as the result and it will point how many notes were found in fact:

Yeah, it actually shows the first 9, I think, and just tells me that it found 147.  I figured it might be relevant if it parses the total number found.

> In addition, I’ll add a new keyword ent to search directly only in titles.

Cool!  I'll give it a go when I see the next update.  

Thanks!

Yeah, it actually shows the first 9, I think, and just tells me that it found 147.  I figured it might be relevant if it parses the total number found.

> In addition, I’ll add a new keyword ent to search directly only in titles.

Cool!  I'll give it a go when I see the next update.  

Thanks!

Download the new test version here.

Thank you.

Edited by Carlos-Sz

I’m not sure. The workflow uses Evernote API to open a note so it is basically Evernote opening it. Does it happen when you open a note inside Evernote?

Very very strange. Yes, it also happens. Same behavior. But what is strange is that this happens just for the first note you open, after opening Evernote. After opening the first one, the next one's timestamp is not updated. If you restart Evernote the behavior repeats itselft. Very weird...

Maybe a bug...

Thanks for your answer though :)

Version 3.5 is out:

• search result will display up to 20 notes (total found in “Show in Evernote” subtitle) making the workflow hopefully usuable for huge collection of notes
  • new ent keyword to search directly only in notes title
  • improved fallback search: the search result will be displayed in Alfred instead of Evernote itself

See initial post for details.

Thank you.  Yes, that's lightning-fast when I use "ent" and when I use "en" now.  Great workflow!

If I can find some time this week, I'm going to play around with it & see if I can add the ability to include tags.

Great!

By “include tags” you mean in a new note or in a searching? Remember that you can search tags by using tag:myquerryhere

Add note and tagging it within Alfred is planned.

If you have any suggestion please let me know.

Sync with alfred an quit

if have added this to your workflow in my setup

it will sync evernote and quit it when sync is finished

on alfred_script(q)
--set quit_command to "{query}"
tell application "Evernote"

synchronize

repeat until isSynchronizing is false
        --THIS EMPTY LOOP WILL PAUSE SCRIPT UNTIL PREVIOUS SYNC IS FINISHED
    end repeat
quit

end tell